Re: Highlight Masking

This might get a better response if it was posted to the GIMP-user list rather than this one, but I'll take a moment to answer you here...

What you are looking to do, in essence, is exposure blending to compress the highlights down.  You don't actually have to go through all those steps if you shot the image as RAW and can see highlight details with a lower exposure.

What I would do is generate two copies of your image from the RAW file, one exposed properly for how you want it, and another with the exposure that just brings back your highlight details.

Then you can open the proper exposure in GIMP.  Open the highlight version as a new layer, and add a layer mask to it.  You can then paint on the layer mask to adjust its transparency and allow the highlights to show through:

This way the majority of your image will be the proper exposure, and you can use layers/masking to bring the highlights back down.

That would hopefully get you on track?  If you have more questions feel free to post them over on the users list, and I'll try to help.