Re: [Gimp-web] Proposed gimp tutorial

First of all, I am not a git expert.

I am trying to help you in the hope to do and say not too much errors...

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 07:22:07AM -0700, Stephen Kiel wrote:
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web-staging]$ which git
> /usr/bin/git
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web-staging]$ git config --global user.name "Stephen Kiel"
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web-staging]$ git config --global user.email snick.kiel@xxxxxxxxx
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web-staging]$ git config --global color.ui auto
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web-staging]$ git clone git://git.gnome.org/gimp-web
> Cloning into 'gimp-web'...
> remote: Counting objects: 16053, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (6204/6204), done.
> remote: Total 16053 (delta 10709), reused 14402 (delta 9672)
> Receiving objects: 100% (16053/16053), 66.74 MiB | 387.00 KiB/s, done.
> Resolving deltas: 100% (10709/10709), done.
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web-staging]$ cd gimp-web/
> [stephen@localhost gimp-web]$ ls
> about          downloads                    install.sh       release-notes
> admin          error                        irc.htrw         robots.txt
> announcements  features                     links            screenshots
> archive.htrw   gimp-web.doap                macintosh        source
> books          google33e0e7c6a0a36ade.html  mail_lists.htrw  style
> bugs           images                       MAINTAINERS      team.htrw
> ChangeLog      includes                     Makefile         template.htrw
> contest        index.htrw                   man              tutorials
> develop        INSTALL                      news             unix
> docs           install.config.sample        nopatents.html   webmasters.htrw
> donating       install.exclude              programmatic     windows

so far so good

> [stephen@localhost gimp-web]$ git branch -r
>   origin/2-8-temp
>   origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>   origin/master
>   origin/master_svn1715
>   origin/old-trunk
>   origin/static-html5
>   origin/v2.4
>   origin/v2.6

so far so good. At THIS point, if you do a

git branch --all

you must see this like mine:

* master
  remotes/origin/2-8-temp
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/master_svn1715
  remotes/origin/old-trunk
  remotes/origin/static-html5
  remotes/origin/v2.4
  remotes/origin/v2.6

that means that you have a local branch named "master" which is a
"tracking" local branch. That means that if you do just a

 git pull

it will do a

git fetch and then a git merge of the remote "master" branch into the local "master".

OK!!!!

If you prefer you can do a git pull --rebase to do a git fetch followed
by a git rebase of the remote "master" again into the local "master".

> [stephen@localhost gimp-web]$ git checkout -b HEAD origin/HEAD
> Branch HEAD set up to track remote branch master from origin.
> Switched to a new branch 'HEAD'

with this you just create a _new_ local remote tracking branch with name
HEAD but since HEAD is a special name in git I think that this is an
error and you should avoid this. I think that you just followed an
example without undestanding it because that HEAD I think was there just
as an example... it meaning was something like this:

 git checkout -b put_here_the_name_of_your_local_branch origin/put_here_the_name_of_the_remote_branch_that_you_want_to_track

but since git clone already set up a local tracking branch you do not
have to do it ...

> warning: refname 'HEAD' is ambiguous.
> warning: refname 'HEAD' is ambiguous.

see? HEAD is not a good name!

BTW I think that it is better for you to just create a patch and post it
here to someone that have write permissions to "push" it into master
branch ...

--

Marco Ciampa