Re: Help building help.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:17:50PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 02:41:02PM -0400, john Culleton wrote:
> > Elaborate things break more often then simple things. All I want is a
> > Gimp Manual in pdf form for version 2.8. I can print this out, put it
> > in a ring binder and use it as needed.
>
> Making pdf always was problematic for some languages, the html manual
> is IMO a better choice. BTW, do you really want to print some hundred
> pages?

PDF pages are no longer just for print but a mean to read with computer
/ tablet / ebook reader. I myself use a kindle to read GIMP books in PDF
in the spare time.

I would not underestimate the importance of the pdf format for a manual.

> > What I got instead was a package with the guts of the manual in xml.
>
> A "package" means you didn't pull the current version from the git
> repository?

Yes I know of may Mac users of GIMP that use updated tar packages of the
manual that I feed them sporadically...

> > I tried autogen, then
> > ./configure, and then make.
>
> You must try
>
> 	make pdf-en   # "en" for the English version
>
> since pdf is not built by default.
> (And making pdf does not require the quickreference.)
>
> > Consistently I get these error messages:
> >
> > Making all in quickreference
> > make[1]: Entering directory
> > `/home/safe/Documents/gimp-help-2.8.0/quickreference' make[1]: *** No
> > rule to make target `svg/gimp-keys-ca.svg', needed by `svg'.  Stop.
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/safe/Documents/gimp-help-2.8.0/quickreference' make: ***
> > [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> If I remember correctly, this was a bug which has been fixed in the
> current version from the git repo.
>
> > I have a project under way and I need to look some things in
> > the manual.
>
> What's wrong with the online manual? ;)

That you have to be on line...

> Ulf