Re: building documentation?

2011/3/24 Owen <rcook@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Could I suggest that you run autogen.sh again, and read the last 20 or
so lines.

Just see what programs weren't found and install them.

Now if you have the style sheets on your computer, it shouldn't have
to go to the net to get them. Install all the stylesheets you can find
(I think you were using Ubuntu so just search synaptic for stylesheets
)

Owen

Thanks! It's working now. And with a launcher to a small script that generates a draft of a single file, I can preview with the click of a button, like God intended :)

I see you've already changed the wiki, so add the following:
docbook-xsl (this is the one with the stylesheets)
docbook-utils (solved a number of dependencies)

There might be more packages necessary; I added a bunch of other packages, don't remember which, I just ticked anything that seemed like it was related to docbook.
Also, I still get one line of missing dependencies:
 checking for dot... no
I couldn't find something called "dot" in synaptic and it seems to be working without it anyway.

Now, some more questions:
1. There are two folders, both with XML files: XML and SRC. I understand XML is the one files are built from, and SRC is the one GIT uses to fetch files.
But how do the two interact? do I copy files manually or is there some tool or script to update one or the other? In other words what is the work process here?

2. UI screenshots: Do you have a preference for the theme used in the screenshots? The wiki says screenshots should use the "default theme" but is it the Gnome's or Ubuntu's default theme I should be using? Gnome's default is Clearlooks, right?

3. I intend to replace the astronomy images used in the quickies with images more representative of something a normal user would use, everyday objects such as cars, animals, plants, tourist attractions and if I find the right subjects, people. These are good looking images I took myself, but I want to know if I need to do anything rights-wise, you know, do I need to explicitly release them under the GPL or CC or what have you, and if I do, how do I do it.

4. it's a long shot, but does anyone here use Notepad++ and has the correct HTMLtidy settings file to correctly reflow and indent docbook XML?