Re: help with ubuntu 10.04 make pdf CJK characters

Marco Ciampa (Wednesday, 17. November 2010)
> I will describe here a problem that I have with ubuntu 10.04.
> I am not shure that this is really a ubuntu problem.

I'm sure it's not an Ubuntu problem.

> marco@lap2-ciampix:~/git-gnome/gimp-help-2$ make pdf-it
> [SRC] src/preface/authors.xml
> *** Making PDF (it) ...
[...]
> 'gimp.pdf' successfully built
>

> the errors:
>
> Missing character 최
>

> are due to this:
>
> marco@lap2-ciampix:~/git-gnome/gimp-help-2/src$ grep -R "ì" *
> preface/authors.xml:            <phrase>Choi
> Ji-Hui(ììí) (Korean)</phrase>
> marco@lap2-ciampix:~/git-gnome/gimp-help-2/src$ grep -R "æ" *
> preface/authors.xml:            <phrase>SimaMoto,RyÅTa
> (åæèå) (Japanese)</phrase>
> marco@lap2-ciampix:~/git-gnome/gimp-help-2/src$ grep -R "è" *
> preface/authors.xml:            <phrase>Cai Qian
> (èè) (Chinese)</phrase>
>

> that apparently I am not able to compile correctly inside my
> italian pdf.
>
> Where is the problem?
> In Ubuntu or in the makefile or wherelse?

Makefile problem only if we fail to pass the correct parameters to
dblatex. But I think it's a dblatex or LaTeX problem.
(I don't know much more than how to type "dblatex" on the command
line, though...)

> Any hint?

What if you remove or comment out any non-Italien
translator/contributor names in xml/it/preface/authors.xml?
Or (maybe even better) just remove the original names if they contain
Asian characters?

We/you can also consider commenting out the original Asian names in
the main file 'stylesheets/authors.xml' (with a comment that these
names are temporarily removed until we know how to properly create a
PDF...). I think nobody will be offended if we do this.

Bye,
Ulf

--
Die guten Christen sind am gefÃhrlichsten - man verwechselt
sie mit dem Christentum.