Re: Layer Modes formulas

Andy Pitonyak (Sonntag, 22. November 2009, 21:50):
> When I see something like "A x B", I do not assume that A is
> multiplied by B; I assume that a cross product will occur. I will
> concede that 2A is more readily understood as 2 times A than AB is
> A times B, but, for anyone that understands the math, that one
> particular notation may prove unsettling.

Hmm, and I thought we should even replace "E = min((M + I),255)"
with "E = M + I" (plus a footnote or so) because the first formula
might be too complicate for some users... ;-)

> I will concede that in different places and at different levels,
> both the cross product (like an x) and dot product (a single dot)
> symbols are used to represent multiplication. I usually only see
> this in very introductory level material.

Using the "x" (ISO-8859-1 / Unicode 0xD7) as "simple" multiplication
sign seems to be a standard for texts created (or used) by computer
programs. (Most programmers would probably use the familiar "*", and
you would never find it e.g. in a German math book, though.)
Same with the division sign (÷) -- a kind of standard(?), but it seems
that nobody uses it.
(If I remember correctly we used this division sign at school when we
learned how to divide integers...)

> If you do choose to use a symbol to represent multiplication I
> strongly recommend extra text explaining this with perhaps a foot
> note when this format is used.

We should get rid of any problems if we use the \cdot macro, which
produces the usual multiplication symbol.

> I recommend against this usage. I do not expect to ever see it in
> cases such as 1-2(1-1/2), or (A-B)(C+D).

These are good examples where we could easily omit any multiplication
symbol. But a formula like "256I" (with 'I' in italics) looks ugly,
and e.g. "E = MI" may look a bit weird outside the math lessons.

So my suggestions is that we use \cdot if the formula looks better
with a multiplication symbol, and don't use any multiplication symbol
otherwise.

Ulf