Re: [Fwd: Re: Stylesheet missing?]

Ulf-D. Ehlert skreiv:
> (Duplicate, mail was not delivered - gimp-docs is still dead.)
>
> Kolbjørn Stuestøl (Montag, 12. Oktober 2009, 23:20):
>
>> Ulf-D. Ehlert skreiv:
>>
>>> Hmm, this conclusion is not necessarily correct: For example,
>>> many Linux applications look for a system and a personal
>>> configuration file, and it's usually ok if one or both are
>>> missing.
>>>
>> I didn't know that. Sorry.
>> (But, I would perhaps have put such calls in a if sentence I think.
>> (if found the else something other) )
>>

> I think this is exactly the way how a browser is expected to do it:
> 	if stylesheet X exists then read stylesheet X endif
> 	if stylesheet Y exists then read stylesheet Y endif
> 	etc.

Agree! Don't know how in a short expression. Have not studied the
<!--[if something]><do something>
    <![endif]--> sequences in the html code.
> I had a quick look at the HTML and CSS specifications, and didn't find
> anything about missing stylesheet files. So I still don't know if a
> missing CSS is an error. Just the implication
> 	missing file ==> error
> seemed to be wrong to me.
It looks I was too strict ;-) Never to late to learn something new. In
the future I do not bother if some unnecessary style sheets are missing.
> But since browsers handle missing CSS gracefully and the users don't
> recognize it, I think it's more likely not an error.

A matter of definition. The program I uses to check the links (a W3.org
duplicate) are programmed to look at it as an error. But as said before,
this is more a matter of taste than a problem. Except perhaps for some
perfectionists?
>> I still think that the average users of the manual doesn't bother
>> about the stylesheets at all.
>>

> That's definitely true.
>
> More exactly: probably more than 99% of the users don't care...
> unless we make the background pink! ;-)

Interesting background

>> When I am putting together a web site for other people they do not
>> allways even know what I am speaking of if I mentions html or css.
>> PHP is perhaps the name of some sweets :-)
>>

> <g>
>

>> So if broken links are normally programming habit in Linux, I do of
>> course have to follow this habit. Even though I do not agree.
>>

> Well, broken links are always a certain problem. But not every missing
> file is a broken (link or a problem). Some files are just optional.
> (BTW, the same is true for your personal gimp config files in
> $HOME/.gimp-2.6.)
>
> Ulf

Nice. Was not aware of this.

BTW: I have a complete (per yesterday) Norwegian translation. When
running "git format-patch" absolutely nothing happens. Am I missing
something or doing it the wrong way?
I have two copies of the gimp-help-2, one copy for "git pull" and a copy
of this as a working copy:
gimp/gimp-help-2
gimp/work/gimp-help-2

Updates my copies - making pot files - translating the nn/po files -
running
    make -f Makefile.GNU validate-nn
    make -f Makefile.GNU html-nn
    git format-patch

(I have to use your special "tools/make_image_links.pl" to copy the images).
Kolbjørn

--
Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Stuestøl