Re: Using web transparency

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak (Dienstag, 1. September 2009, 02:18):
> Complaint 1:
>
> "You can now remove the background layer to get a completely
> transparent background"

Apparently the author used the Wilber construction set
(src/images/Wilber_Construction_Kit_original.xcf) to create an image
with two layers: a blue background layer containing the silly flare
effect, and a layer containing Wilber with shadow(s).

> I do not have a background layer to remove. The image
> (http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/images/using/preparing_for_web1.png)
> has only one layer named background, which includes Wilber and the
> background. I assume that this means that I can use an erase to
> erase the blue and white background.

Consider adding a caption similar to src/toolbox/tool-brush.xml, Paint
Mode Examples ("Wilber over a blue background layer") to make that
there are two layers.

> Complaint 2:
>
> "create a gradient from color to transparency."
>
> This has not yet been covered in the documentation (up to this
> point). I do see a menu option for Colors > Colors to alpha, but I
> am not clear how this helps me obtain the soft glow in the
> background around Wilber.

It's one of the standard gradients, see .../gimp-gradient-dialog.html.

> Complaint 3:
>
> "To demonstrate the capabilities of alpha transparency, we'll make
> a soft glow in the background around our Wilber."
>
> I suppose that this should read:
>
> "To demonstrate the capabilities of alpha transparency, the author
> used transparency to make a soft glow in the background around our
> Wilber."
>
> I have no idea how to cause this effect.

One way (don't know if there are better ways) is
  1. duplicate the layer (wilber with transparency),
  2. apply Filters -> Alpha to Logo -> Alien Glow (change the Glow
     color, e.g. to 255,215,0 = gold).
  3. remove the black background layer.

But I can't believe that's what the author had in mind.

Ulf