Re: Tutorials for people that cannot turn on the computer

On 07/22/2009 04:40 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak (apitonya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote (in part)  (on
2009-07-21 at 22:43):
http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tutorial-straight-lines.html

> > It is actually a good
tutorial, and introduces paint tools and

> brushes

> > as well the nitty gritty of starting things off.

> > Too easy for you? great, go on and do other things

> I agree that it is a very good tutorial. I learned a lot (now that

> have finished it). I was just surprised because it is not easy to

> even start GIMP if you cannot find the mouse.

> I am just finishing bringing it, and the screen shots, up to the

> latest version of GIMP.

> The tutorial begins with an entire paragraph and pictures to show
the

> SHIFT key and the mouse. At the end, it skips over the details on
how

> to create the example images. Well, it did, anyway. It took me a
bit

> to figure out some of them, but after I validated, built, visually

> verified, and spell checked, I create and submitted a patch.

I thought the description of the shift-key and mouse had a nice tongue in cheek feel to it.

Since you've been working on it and this seems to be an introductory tutorial - one point - where the tutorial says:
After you click the paintbrush tool, you can click the image. A single dot will appear on the screen. The size of this dot represents the current brush size, which you can change in the Brush Dialog (see Section 3.2, ““Brushes” Dialog”). Now, lets start drawing a line. Hold down the Shift button, and keep it down.
maybe you could add "Hitting the "[" or "]" key will increase or decrease the size of the dot (and the line we are going to draw).

I've just looked at section 3.3 and it doesn't actually show you how to increase/decrease size. In fact you have to "see the Brushes section for basic information" to find:
Now, all brushes have a variable size. In fact, in the option box of all painting tools there is a slider to enlarge or reduce the size of the active brush. You can do this directly in the image window if you have set correctly your mouse wheel; see Varying brush size.
And on that link it *still* doesn't tell you those two handy short-cuts ... after Googling and looking through Preferences and Keyboard Shortcuts I *STILL* can't find anywhere that tells me that they exist and/or how to change them.

Googling: [site:docs.gimp.org "square bracket"] gets no hits though [gimp "square bracket"] *DOES* find a couple but only if you already know what keystroke you are looking for.

Hmmm ... how many other keystrokes are there that I don't know about - and where do I find them?

Good tips.... I will see if I can easily integrate them. I have already submitted my patch to Roman Joost. I will wait until it is integrated before I revisit that specific file. If I do not, I am more likely to have merge conflicts.
--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm