Re: .gitignore (2)

julien (Montag, 27. April 2009, 22:04):
> Under Git, if I well understand, 'commit' is different from SVN
> commit. Under Git, commit updates the local repository from the
> Index. Then we can send a patch to the git remote repository using
> "push"... And I have not used push yet.

Meanwhile I had the same problem and failed miserably to resolve it. :-(

git refused to update, rebase, or merge, and I wasn't able to resolve
the conflicts I got; once I got Marco's po files as my local changes
(don't know how or why) - and I never got a useful hint what to do.
I had to revert changes which were not affected by Marco's commit at all
(and I lost some of my changes this way).

It seems that 'git rebase' only makes sense when working with branches?!

After this hard lesson I think
	- working on 'master' seems to be wrong - now I will create my
	  own branch and work on this branch only,
	- when working on 'master', committing changes without pushing
	  immediately seems to be very dangerous,
	- I won't edit ChangeLog any more - this will create conflicts
	  and I don't know how to handle conflicts with git.

It looks I have more to read than just the "SVN Crash Course". ;-)

Bye,
Ulf