Re: Gimp-docs Digest, Vol 55, Issue 7

Vitaly Lomov (Montag, 22. Dezember 2008, 10:35):
> First impressions: OMG!!!

Is "OMG!!!" good or bad?

> Now, I just checked a few .xml files and
> filters/filters_introduction.xml still has some non-en content. It
> doesn't affect me, just a bug report.

The scripts used for migrating are not perfect, so there will be some
files - xml files as well as po files, and hopefully not too many -
containing flaws or even beeing totally useless.

If this happens, you can

    a) correct the xml file manually,
    b) report this file here, sometimes it's possible to edit the (old)
       multi-lang xml file and re-apply the migrating script to this
       file only, producing correct output files.

IMHO you should consider a) if (and only if) a single small file is
affected, definitely choose b) if it's a large file or if a group of
files is affected by the same problem.

> I use Cygwin and when I tried to 'make xml-ru' after configure I got
> this: can't find dblatex(1), dot(1),docbook2odf(1),xml2po(1) -
> PDF/PNG/ODF/SVG generation is disabled - fine by me.
> can't find msgfmt(1) - you will need it to build the help files -
> this is a show stopper because it doesn't let me continue. If
> somebody knows, what Cygwin package should I install to go pass that?

I don't know Cygwin, but you should look for packages named like

	- gettext (maybe gettext-runtime & gettext-tools)

which contains the required tools msgfmt, msgcat, msginit, msgmerge, and
msguniq;

	- gnome-doc-utils

which contains the required tool xml2po (we used a patched version of
xml2po, but the "docbook" module will alway be required).

Other packages are optional:

	- dblatex (http://dblatex.sourceforge.net) for making pdf,
	- docbook2odf (http://open.comsultia.com/docbook2odf) for odf,
	- graphviz (http://www.graphviz.org/) contains "dot", which is just
	  used to visualize make's dependency graph.

> Other questions:
> Why do I need to generate xml by itself? Is it not just a middle step
> now for html/pdf... generation? Or is it that big xml file with only
> my content?

If everything works (--> in the future) you can type
	make html-ru
to create the html files.
Then xml, pot, and po files should be updated only if necessary.
And yes, localized xml files are intermediate files:

	XML(en) --> POT --> PO(ru)
	XML(en) + PO(ru) --> XML(ru)
	XML(ru) --> HTML(ru)
	XML(ru) --> PDF(ru)  etc.

> Is there a way to get only en and my language without getting other
> language po files?

Using the "autogen.sh" script,
	./autogen.sh [--without-gimp] LINGUAS="en ru"
should still work, using make try
	LINGUAS="en ru" make [-f Makefile.GNU] html
or
	make [-f Makefile.GNU] html-en html-ru

Again: this is how it *should* work in the future, don't know what
happens now...

> Can wiki be updated with the new workflow? It still references 2.0. A
> link to pot/po help on gnu site will help, but more on how it fits
> with gimp-docs.

It looks like everybody is expecting someone else to fix the wiki
pages... ;-)

> Can I just chug along and correct po files, commit as is (without
> make xml-ru), and wait till validation is in place to fix errors
> afterwards?

Yes! :-)

> Will it affect anybody else but my language?

No. Editing the (English) source xml files or the pot files will affect
every language, editing a po file will only affect the respective
language.

Ulf