Re: A new translation (fi)?

Hi Peltzi,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 07:55:45AM +0300, Peltzi wrote:
> I'm trying to gather a group of Finnish Gimp users to translate the Gimp
> manual into Finnish.
That's great!

> We've been wondering if it's wiser to wait until the
> manual for Gimp 2.6 is released or just start with the 2.4.2 and modify it
> afterwards. How long will it take to write the manual version 2.6?
First - good that you subscribed to our mailing list.

The last release of the manual was for the last stable GIMP version
namely 2.4. We're currently transforming the documentation system from
DocBook/XML only to DocBook/XML + po/gettext. Meaning, that you only
translate the english strings of the manual instead of writing XML
markup.

We need to migrate the currently written content and modify the build
system. The migration script is nearly done, but the changes of the
build system need some more time (probably weeks).

Adding a new language would make it harder to migrate the current
written content. On the other hand, I don't want to postpone you guys to
an undefined date.

So, what I propose for you guys now is that you create your own
sandboxes described here:

    http://docs.gimp.org/help.html

I think there will already be questions on your side during the setup of
a sandbox.

I hope we can get the migration done ASAP. Afterwards you can start just
right away translating to Finnish!

Cheers and welcome,
--
Roman Joost