Re: Current status on migration

Hi Julien,

julien (Freitag, 5. September 2008, 20:48):
> I ran
> xml2po-support> python tools/split-xml-multi-lang.py --debug -l fr -f
> oldsrc/menus/file-new.xml -d DEST
>
> I got two directories, 'en' and 'fr' with file-new.xml in both. OK
>
> I noticed in the 'fr' file:
> - in <note> and <sect>, all language attributes are shown
> (lang=en;de;es...) even though there are fr para only.

Yes, 'xml2po' won't care about the "lang" attribute, so I didn't remove
or replace them. And they may be useful for finding bugs:

    <para>English text</para>

may be ok in a French XML file, but e.g.

    <para lang="de;fr">English text</para>

would obviously indicate a serious bug in our script.

> - The tip is in english because it is not translated to 'fr'.

Yes, that's intended. We need two XML files of the very same structure
to use xml2po's "reuse" option. Try

    xml2po --output=french.po --reuse=french.xml --language=fr
    english.xml

xml2po should replace any "translation" which is the same as the English
source string with an empty string. (Check this!)

> - In the grayscale section, there are 4 'en' para  and 2 'fr' para in
> the source. In the destination 'fr' file, "missing" para are in
> english.

Hey, nobody is perfect. ;-)
What should the script do? Are the the missing 'fr' (and 'de') paras
intentionally not translated? The 'en' paras may be added just
yesterday, how can the script know?

But maybe it's a good idea to detect these cases and emit a warning.

> What is the use of the 'seqnum=' added?

They are internally used to mark a node as "seen". The current script
version has been changed to remove these attributes when constructing
the destination document.

Ulf