Re: Problem with draft file

Hi Julien,

julien (Samstag, 29. März 2008, 21:42):
> Here what I get when I try making a html draft file for tool-blend:
>
> make src/toolbox/tool-blend.draft ALL_LINGUAS="fr"
> Making draft page (ignore any XSLT complaints):

"(ignore any XSLT complaints)" is important... ;-)

> Making ./html/fr/gimp-tool-blend-draft.html ...
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: gimp-concepts-gradients.
> XRef to nonexistent id: gimp-concepts-gradients
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: gimp-gradient-dialog.
> XRef to nonexistent id: gimp-gradient-dialog
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: gimp-tool-brush-options.
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: glossary-dithering-fr.
> (Remember that links won't work in a draft file.)

and so is "(Remember that links won't work in a draft file.)".

> These "nonexistent id's" actually exist...

Yes, the ids exist, but the XSLT processor does not know the
corresponding endpoint, i.e. reference and - in case of '<xref
linkend="id"/>' - text to create the HTML link
("<a href='where'???">what???</a>").

When you make a draft file, the XSLT processor will read only one single
XML source file and does not know where to find
e.g. "gimp-concepts-gradients". Actually it's
in "gimp-concepts-gradients.html", but it could be anywhere.

This information is stored in the file 'html/fr/gimp-xrefs.xml'
	"in order to resolve olinks efficiently"
	 [DocBook XSL Stylesheets: Reference Documentation],
and when you make *all* HTML files ('make ALL_LINGUAS=fr'), you will see
that the first file the XSLT processor creates is
"html/fr/gimp-xrefs.xml":
	Creating HTML for:  fr
	Writing gimp-xrefs.xml for book(gimp-main)
	Writing pr01.html for preface

Try
	grep gimp-concepts-gradients html/fr/gimp-xrefs.xml

and you will get just the information the XSLT processor lacks when it
creates a draft file.

I didn't try, but I guess it's not possible to let the processor read
and use the xrefs file created by a previous 'make all'.

After all, the draft file is just what I said: "quick"
and/but "dirty". ;-)

Ulf