Re: Rules to make target `xml/stamp-en-valid'?

Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
> Kolbjørn Stuestøl (Samstag, 23. Februar 2008, 17:37):
>
>> When trying to run 'make ALL_LINGUAS="no"' (or whatever language), I
>> get the message:
>>     "make: *** No rule to make target `xml/stamp-no-valid', needed by
>> `validate'.  Stop."
>> I assume I've missed a file or something, but where and what? Where
>> do I find this rule, or more precisely: what do I have to do to get
>> the program running as nicely as before?
>> Yes, I have updated the 'gimp-help-2' directory and run the 'make' on
>> a copy of this.
>>

> If in doubt, always try to re-run 'autogen.sh'.

Yes, I did it. My first attempt to find a solution.
> Also, try
> 	grep valid Makefile
> to check/verify the validate target. The output should contain
> 	xml/stamp-%-valid: xml/%.xml.
> If it does, the target's prerequisite (xml/no.xml) cannot be built. Then
> try
> 	grep ^xml/ Makefile
> which should give you
> 	xml/%.xml: src/gimp.xml stylesheets/profile.xsl $(XML_FILES).
>

>> I have tried to figure out where this message is generated without
>> any luck. Using Cygwin on Windows XP if that matter.
>>

> Maybe there are some <CR> chars and your "make" can't handle them?
> 	cat -v Makefile
> will show you (trailing ^M's?).
>
> Ulf

I found an old version of the help-2 in the dust bin, updated this and
it works normal. But I'll try your suggestions on the corrupted version
to be on the safe side if the problem occurs later on. I'll tell you the
result. Could be to some help in case others run into the same problem(s).
Thank you, Ulf
Kolbjoern