Re: Is GIMP freeware?

Hey Axel,

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:24:01PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> There is at least one page in the manual that says "GIMP would not be
> freeware, but released under GPL". But as far as I understand the
> wikipedia definition of freeware, freeware just means that the
> software can be used for free (without any charge) for an unlimited
> time. I'd say GIMP _is_ freeware - is it, or isn't it?!
I don't think GIMP is freeware. If you compare freeware with free
software only from the monetary aspect of view than you found something
common.

But I think (backed up by what I read) the point is, that software which
is released as Freeware, doesn't give you the right to see the source
code and neither modify it. So Freeware is mostly distributed in binary
form. Of course, you don't pay any money and you can give it away for
free (as in free beer), but you won't have the right to modify this
piece of software.

GIMP is free software (not as in free beer, as in free speech) and
that's the point here. You can see the source code and modify it. Of
course, not the main points for free software, there are others. So, see
the wikipedia page for more information ;)

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de