[Gimp-docs] Gimp inquiry

I?m learning Gimp 2.2 using WinXXP.  In the Gimp 2.2 manual, at http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-selections.html, it says, ?After creating a ? selection, ? the default mouse pointer is the moving cross. Click-and-drag then allows you to move the selection and its contents, while the initial position remains empty.?

But after I create, say, a rectangle selection, my mouse pointer remains a square.  If there is some setting doing that can anyone tell me what it is, please?

Even if I grab the move tool, the pointer changes to a cross but when I try to move the selection, the whole canvas moves, not the selection.  What am I missing?

Thank you, Seymour H. Fine, Ph.D.
WEB: http://tinyurl.com/ysfkz syfine22@xxxxxxxx