RE: [Gimp-docs] Migration path to xml2po

Hi Roman, Julien and all -

>But, we need a reference which should probably be the
>English part of the manual.

Yes, the biggest obstacle, IMHO (in my humble opinion).

>Since this reference isn't finished in
>writing, I want to ask Sally, Julien and other authors how much it would
>be, to finish writing the missing pieces of the english manual. Are only
>5 sections missing, or maybe 20? Can someone figure this out?

That is hard for me to say because I'm new as a writer and new as a user.
I am trying to verify things and add whatever is necessary as I go along,
but it's hard for me to really tell what's missing.  Like Julien, it
would take me a little while to figure it out.

And just because there is a small description of a particular feature,
that doesn't mean that it is complete or well written.  There are still
a large number of files I haven't gone through yet.

As for what's missing, there's nothing currently mentioned for English
in the Wiki.  But I'm not sure I believe it completely. :-)

>I think it would be wise to have everyone participate in finishing the
>English part, even if he's not a native speaker. The native speakers are
>probably be able to proof read those parts and fix the remaining errors.

Hmmm.  If editing part of the "reference language" text makes the
corresponding translations "disappear", then I'd think we would want
something a little more finished for the English.

>Are there still any concerns or votes against an integration of the
>"*.po strategy"?

How about Nickolay's comment about the images?  Is there a good way
to fix that?

>I don't know what xml2po is at all...

You're lucky there, Julien. :-)  Since French is just about everywhere
already, you wouldn't have to change anything, if we use the hybrid
suggestion of Nickolay's.

>We will no longer be able to change the reference easily? GIMP is a very
>complex tool and every day I discover a new tip in lists, forums,
>reviews, books... The advantage of an inline help is permanent update.

Constant change is both an advantage and a disadvantage.  But yes, bug
fixes also belong to Julien's items above.  How do we handle that?

>"en" needs to be corrected for language and improved for content. It's a
>pity that some good german text has not been translated to english.

Did you have something specific in mind, Julien, or just in general?
As I go through (as you know!), I look at the German, the French, and
anything else I can guess at and incorporate whatever looks interesting.
 :-)  But if you have some specific things in mind, I'm sure there's
someone who can take a look.

So OK, Roman.  I can skim through the document again and see if I
notice anything terribly missing.  It might take me a little while.

Regards,

Sally