RE: [Gimp-docs] Migration path to xml2po

Hi All -

>Let me first say, that this discussion comes always up if new
>contributors joining us. We should put some of the conclusions up on our
>wiki, so we don't have to argue about some points again and again.

Sorry I missed the previous discussions about it.  But you could be
right; it might be a good idea to say something about it on the Wiki.

>And IMHO this is our problem: we don't have a finished English
>manual yet. If we want to use PO files, we need a reference to make a
>translation for.

A very good point.  As the only currently (very) active English writer,
and a relative newcomer at that, I feel this very acutely.

>> 4. No way to translate images right now from po, translation should
>>    go directly to the content. We'll solve this technical problem later.
>Excuse my ignorance, but thats always how people come up with new ideas.
>I love to have new ideas and how we can improve the way we're writing
>content for the manual. But new technologies come also with a lot of
>disadvantages.

Am I correct in assuming that this has to do with the example images
(menus, results of various operations on picture files, etc.)?  If so,
I've been thinking that it might be possible to have the program which
creates the blank po files include the <imagedata> lines, so they can
be "translated".  In this case, the fileref= could be changed to
include the /fr or /de or /ru, so it points to the localized image file.

At any rate, I do agree that it doesn't make too much sense, as long
as the English part of the manual is in its current state.

Regards,

Sally