Re: [Gimp-docs] Proposal for Metadata

On Sunday 18 December 2005 12:12 pm, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> Re: [Gimp-docs] Proposal for Metadata
>  Date: Today 12:12:12 pm
>  From: Axel Wernicke <axel.wernicke@xxxxxx>
>  To: Roman Joost <romanofski@xxxxxxxx>
>  CC: GIMP Docs <gimp-docs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Message was signed with unknown key 0x47D9972D5B006E24.
> The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
>   Hi Roman,
>
> to be honest I don't see the benefit of changing the kind of
> comments   we do by now. The information is almost the same, but
> due to that huge surrounding docbook structure it's very hard to
> read in the source. Right now I'd prefer to stick to the way we are
> doing it today, but may be you can convince me.
> I'd like to focus on how to make contributing easier - we could
> need   some more editors, and right now writing content is very
> technically. To deal with all that docbook stuff is more like
> writing source code than like writing a book. I'd be very open
> minded to see proposals on how to change that.

That's just a great motive to change the comments to actual XM
content: whatever tool one will use, it will have to read the XML
content, decoding it, and later encode it back - the scripts I was
trying earlier did just that, for example. The problem is: when you
parse XML, you _do_not_  have access to comments. They are ignored by
the parser - (unless you make a custom parser, but even there, you
are violating XML specs). well..any program which does not know about
the comments, obviously cannot write then back when re-encoding the
document.

	JS
	-><-