Re: [Gimp-docs] Problems building PDF file from gimp-help-2.0.9

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:07:30PM -0500, Keith Hanlan wrote:
> I am trying to build the PDF version of the Gimp manual and am
> running into problems. I have an up-to-date FC4 installation and I
> am hoping someone can point me to a simple mistake that I can
> rectify.
Just on start in short: Creating PDF's doesn't work currently. The LaTeX
interpreter stops with an error. It seems that it can't place all the
figures correctly and I haven't figured a workaround out for this yet.

A fix will be very, very welcome.

> I'm trying to keep it simple by doing the following:
> # ALL_LINGUAS=en ./configure --without-gimp --disable-network
> # make
> # make pdf
Looks good so fahr ...

> But I get the following mess:
>   |keithh@kph [219]* make pdf
>   |mkdir -p -- xml
>   |-- Profiling XML for en
>   |*** Profiling XML files ***
>   |*** Building LaTeX files ***
>   |-- Building LaTeX for en
>   |I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/xsl/docbook.xsl
>   |warning: failed to load external entity "http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/xsl/docbook.xsl";
>   |compilation error: file ../../stylesheets/plainprint.xsl line 6 element import
>   |xsl:import : unable to load http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/xsl/docbook.xsl
>   |make: *** [stamps/latex.stamp] Error 5
It seems, that you either haven't installed the 'db2latex' XSL
stylesheets[1] or you have a broken XML catalog (probably mostly located at
/etc/xml/catalog). This catalog helps to find the stylesheets on your
harddisk.

> The configure command produced the following:
Looks good as well ...

> On a related topic: the reason that I'm trying to build the PDF
> file is that I want to print a hard-copy. If I'm going to invest a
> lot of time learning a new tool, I want a manual that doesn't tie
> me to the computer. This begs the question: why not just supply
> the PDF on the website? This is *way* too much work for a manual.
As Axel already mentioned. We did put PDF versions on our project page
(http://docs.gimp.org). Unfortunately, they're not very up-to-date
because of the recent errors I'm running into ... Additionally, some of
the figures in the manual are not placed correctly on a page. Well,
having said, it's far from usable.

[1] - http://db2latex.sf.net

Greetings,
--