Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Discontinuation of mailing lists and moving to Discourse

Hi!

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 3:25 AM Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:00:24PM +0200, Jehan Pagès via gimp-developer-list wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 9:48 PM Rick Strong <rnstrong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So if I want to ask a question about using GIMP, or respond to a question,
> > how do I do it?
> >

> Well basically same as you always did, except that now it will be on one of
> the Discourse instances, such as the pixls.us one or the GNOME one. Instead
> of being subscribed to a mailing list, it's on Discourse (which is
> basically a modern-time forum, as I see it), on which you'd have a
> login/account. :-)
>
> Jehan

As a linux user, this feels like a retrograde step (there are ways
of running mailing lists without python2, such as sympa, although
they tend to work sub-optimally).  But it is outside my, and your,
control so thanks for the forewarning.

I guess that if I have any questions in the future I'll use
https://discuss.pixls.us in the hope that I might get indications of
how to do something (I'm logged in there on one of my machines, I
get mails every week or so with topics since I last visited - most
of which seem to be about non-interesting *to me* software).

This might be my last post here, so I'll say thanks to the people
who have helped me on -user over the years, and to the devs who have
made 2.10 what it is - yes, I'd like to use 2.99 but I also want
script-fu and g'mic plugins so I guess I'll be staying on 2.10 for a
while.

Script-fu is still available in 2.99 and nowadays we get a very active contributor for it. So it's even improving. :-)

As for G'MIC, it is available for GIMP 2.99 too, though maybe not on all platforms, and it probably "breaks" at nearly every dev release (as we progressively change the API here and there). So there is indeed often a short span of time where it's non-available. Of course, not advising you to use 2.99 either as it's still marked as "unstable" releases (so to be used carefully), but just saying that these 2 points are not hugely broken and there is no doubt to me that they will will be available with GIMP 3.0 (and no API break for a long time then!). :-)

Jehan

ĸen
--
Greater love hath no woman for the premiership than to lay down the
life of her bosom friend in an attempt to save her own skin.