Re: note to packagers: partially desynchronising babl, GEGL and GIMP releases cycles

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:13 PM Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Packagers for linux distributions should update the recipes for babl
> and GEGL, and new releases of GIMP 2.10.6 for flatpak/snap/OSX/windows
> with the new babl and GEGL is desirable.
>
> Before in the 2.10 releases we have synchronized the releases of babl,
> GEGL and GIMP. This synchronization has been a by-product of work on
> finishing the GIMP release have resulted in additional commits to
> GEGL; and thus coordinating the releases have been neccessary also to
> have a properly building GIMP. As the 2.10 series stabilizes and
> releases become less frequent we can expect having babl and GEGL
> releases also in-between future stable GIMP releases.
>
> babl-0.1.58 and GEGL-0.4.10 have already been released this month

As often happens, there was a slight issue with the GEGL release which had fixes
for OSX display glithches rushed out - didnt get enough testing of the
glitch fixes; and
in the end we made things worse - also on other platforms. As far as we know the
display glitches when zoomed in beyond 100% are now be history on both
OSX and Linux
with the fixes GEGL-0.4.12 has for the discovered embarrassment.

/Øyvind Kolås