Re: basic concepts and usage of gegl in gtk

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 01:17:48AM +0100, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Vincent
> <debian-siril@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >     gegl_buffer_set(buf, &_rect, 1, format, image_buffer, GEGL_AUTO_ROWSTRIDE);
>
> > The problem is that all I get from this code is segfaults. What did I
> > miss? Isn't gegl-gtk supposed to display the image data given by the
> > output port of a node? Is something required to transform the gegl
> > buffer data to a format that the gegl-gtk widget can understand?
>
> Without a downloadable buildable code example it is hard to diagnose
> what is going wrong, based on reading the provided source there is at
> least one other thing going wrong. You should be providing 0 as the
> mipmap level/third argument of gegl_buffer_set, if writing directly to
> mipmap level 1, display at scales <50% zoom will only read empty
> pixels. The side effect of this would be nothing displayed though; not
> segfaults.
>
> /pippin

Thank you both for your answers. I finally made a sample application
that reads a FITS file and tries to display the first channel's grey
buffer in a gegl-gtk object.

The code is here:
https://free-astro.org/svn/siril/trunk/src/main_gegl_test.c
you may also checkout trunk/deps/gegl-gtk. Compilation
instructions are given at the top of the file, dependencies are GTK3,
GEGL, gegl-gtk and cfitsio.
A sample file is available here:
https://free-astro.org/download/scott.fit

Stack trace for SIGSEV (sorry I don't have all symbols it has too
many dependencies to rebuild shortly):
#0  0x00007ffff43a6e1e in __memmove_sse2_unaligned_erms () at
/usr/lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x00007ffff617b1a1 in gegl_buffer_set () at
/usr/lib/libgegl-0.3.so.0
#2  0x000000000040354a in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe9b8) at
main_gegl_test.c:84

Any ideas?

Is there actually a copy of the buffer into GEGL's memory in this
function? I would have hoped we could avoid that, to have better
performances.

Thank you
Vincent