Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.9.2 and Nef files

On  21.1.2016 at 12:54 AM Partha Bagchi wrote:
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:10 AM, cscj01 <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
GIMP has a built in gegl based NEF "plug-in". No additional software
needed other than the requisite dcraw of course. Actually it can read
Fuji and Panasonic as well (probably what Pippin has :) ), but that's
not advertised.
If the UFRaw plugin can properly read NEF files, why can't the gegl-based nef
plugin?  I see this as a bug.

Can you tell me what the issue is? We can take it offlist if you want.

Or perhaps you could discuss it or tell about the results of your
off-list discussion on the GEGL developer list, so it would
become obvious to developers what still needs to be done?
Thus I'm cross-posting this to the GEGL developer list.

BTW, the same issue is for CR2 (Canon raw files). I haven't tried DNG yet.
I wonder a bit that it doesn't work out of the box yet because GEGL
depends on the [LibRaw library] which reads camera raw files and is an
active project.

Personally I think GIMP and its users would benefit much if Camera raw
files could be read and processed natively.

Greetings

Sven

[LibRaw library]: http://www.libraw.org/