Re: porting a GEGL filter to OpenCL

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 10:21:59PM +0100, Florian Klemme wrote:
> FYI on VMs:
> I haven't seen a virtual machine that supports any kind of OpenCL
> passthough, so if you're developing on a virtual machine you won't
> be able to run your OpenCL code there.
> I'm developing  on a Linux VM because I don't want to figure out the
> build process on Windows. ;-) But for testing OpenCL, I (have to)
> copy my code to a native Linux machine an test it there.

You can actually use OpenCL with a virtual machine.  I've started
doing this lately for testing clover, which is an Open Source
OpenCL implementation for AMD GPUs.  There is one annoying issue
that on some AMD hardware, you can only boot the guest once per host
boot, so if you want to reboot the guest you must also reboot the host.

Otherwise things seem to be working fine, at least with clover.
I'm working on a guide for how to set this up in case anyone is
interested:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/PCIPassthrough/

-Tom