Re: [Gimp-developer] babl roadmap

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/16/2014 03:37 PM, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Elle Stone
>> <ellestone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there in fact general agreement among the devs that the criteria for
>>> deciding when to use sRGB primaries instead of UserRGB primaries is
>>> approximately as follows?
>>

>> the first thing we should do is to
>> annotate all the operations which are broken when done with sRGB
>> primaries
>

> In other words, you will make a list of all operations that "don't work" in
> unbounded sRGB, and then you will convert from unbounded sRGB to UserRGB for
> those operations, and then back to unbounded sRGB. Good luck with that.
>
>> Using a fixed linear RGB format instead of userRGB is what for some
>> operations will provide the consistent results for the same property
>> values / slider positions.
>

> As a maxim for guiding GIMP development, "consistent results for the same
> property values / slider positions" reflects a profound failure to
> understand the nature of RGB image editing and can only lead to bad code.

No I am explaining how we will start out making these changes for
engineering reasons. How to follow a process that doesn't destabilize
and destroy what we already have. While your back-seat driving, asking
about detailed choices of side-roads 4 weeks from now on our road-trip
is not very productive when we're not even sure we'll be in the
country of those roads you want us to take – or if we will have
swapped the hummer for a jeep.