Re: [Gimp-developer] Don't make an architectural mistake based on a groundless premise

On 10/11/2014 08:52 PM, Jon Nordby wrote:
    Accurate UI colors is a desktop color management issue, entirely
    irrelevant to programming a color-managed image editor.

The application needs to interface with the desktop (windowing system).
GIMP uses GTK+ for that, which uses Cairo APIs for rendering - which
basically assumes 8-bit sRGB. I suspect that on X11/Linux these
assumptions go deeper in the graphics stack as well.  Yes, it is not
right, but such is the state of things. We will have to improve it
step-by-step.

Please correct me if I misunderstood what you are saying. I think you are saying:

GIMP uses GTK+.

GTK+ uses Cairo APIs for rendering to the screen.

Cairo APIs assume 8-bit sRGB.

Therefore in GTK+ applications such as GIMP, images must be converted to sRGB before they can be displayed on the screen.

Is the above correct?

Kind regards,
Elle Stone
--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography