Re: [Gimp-developer] Shape layers for GIMP?

> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 19:02:53 +0100
> From: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: strata_ranger@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx; gegl-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Shape layers for GIMP?
>
> On 08/09/2012 18:29, Richard Gitschlag wrote:
> > There's a slightly faster manual way: Stroke the path onto a layer mask,
> > this keeps the "shape" of the layer separate from its actual content.
> > True, you still have no live preview (you have to fill inside/outside of
> > selection with 0% and 100% to set the mask) linked to a path object, but
> > it's non-destructive to the layer's constituent pixels.
>
> Destroying the constituent pixels isn't really what's taking up the
> time. What's taking up the time is going through the following process:
>
> 1. Delete previous applied "effects layers".
> 2. Modify path.
> 3. Convert path to selection.
> 4. Fill selection with colour.
> 5. Apply inner shadow to layer.
> 6. Apply inner glow to layer.
> 7. Apply gradient to layer.
> 8. [etc...]
>
> With a shape layer, assuming it had been set up already with the desired
> effects, the above steps would change to the following:
>
> 1. Modify path.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Jeremy Morton (Jez)

Then the issue here is not with "shaped" layers itself, but layer post-processing effects in general.  From those steps I assume you're telling Photoshop that the "shadow" and "glow" are live effects that Photoshop applies for you automatically, and re-applies whenever you change the path source.  GIMP indeed can not do that and probably won't be able to for some time.

Otherwise, the fastest GIMP steps I can come up for managing a layer "clipping path" are this:

1 - Create desired path shape.
2 - Path to selection.
3 - Add layer mask, initialized with selection.

Then if/when you need to change the layer shape, you simply:

1 - Modify path object.
2 - Same path to selection.
3 - Delete layer mask.
4 - Add layer mask, initialized with selection.

This does not include other effects, of course, only the layer shape itself.

(And perhaps we really need a command to reinitialize the layer mask.  I spot no easy way of telling GIMP to copy from selection mask channel to layer mask channel...)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger@xxxxxxxxxxx