Re: gegl-gtk

CC'ing the GEGL mailing list, since there may be others interested.

On 2 July 2012 20:24, Isaac Wagner <isaacbwagner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> My name is Isaac and I'm a GSoC student this year working on a graphical
> node editor for gegl. I recently replaced my own dirty rendering method with
> gegl-gtk and it was much more convenient than what I was doing, but still
> seems to suffer from the key problem which originally lead me to gegl-gtk:
> nodes with infinite bounding boxes (such as gegl:checkboard) completely
> devour memory when attempting to render and never actually do succesfully
> render. So my question is: Is there some hidden functionality for
> intelligently handling infinitely-bounded nodes in GeglGtkView? If not,
> would you accept a patch implementing such functionality (or even give me
> access to the gegl-gtk tree so that I can commit the functionality myself)?

Hi Isaac,

glad to hear gegl-gtk was useful to you. I will try to check our your
node editor work soon.

What exactly is the issue with nodes with infinite bounds? I have not
tested myself. Rendering of gegl:checkerboard sounds like some that
should just-work, so I'd be happy to accept patches if it does not.
If you have commit access to GEGL, you should have commit access to
gegl-gtk. You can create a branch with proposed fixes there and I'll
have a look.

> I also have some interest in implementing the background node rendering (or
> using someone else's implemention) that I saw mentioned in the comments. It
> would be nice to show a checkerboard underneath alpha transparency in the
> node previews in my editor.

Background rendering should already be possible by connecting to the
GeglGtkView::draw-background signal. See for instance
examples/c/gegl-gtk-paint.c in the source tree

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com