Re: gaussian reduce operator, and GIMPGEGL operator

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM,  <bootch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK.  It is not clear to me that the new API using GeglBuffers will let Python plugins use GEGL,
> only C-language plugins, unless there are more changes to, for example, the GIMP PDB or to Pygimp.
> But I understand it is not high priority, since few GIMP plugin developers, using Python and Scheme, need direct access to GEGL?
> I suppose the guiding principle is that fundamental filter operations should be GEGL plugins written in C.
> But why should non-fundamental Python GIMP plugins need to go through the PDB to get to GEGL?
> I suppose the architecture of GIMP plugins is of no concern to GEGL, and I am not an expert.

It is correct that the architecture of GIMP plugins is of no concern
to GEGL, but the API for GIMP plug-ins will as stated also change.
PixelRegions will go away as should plug-ins knowledge of tiles. The
only way of interacting with pixels both in GIMPs core and in plug-ins
will eventually be through manipulating GeglBuffers.

/Ø
                                                 -- William Gibson