Re: Undefined references after update to GLIB 2.28.1

On 03/10/2011 10:34 AM, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 03:27 AM, Eric Grivel wrote:
>> make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/lincoln/d3/gimp/source/gegl/examples'
>>      CC      2geglbuffer.c
>>      CCLD    2geglbuffer
>> /mnt/lincoln/d3/gimp/deploy/lib/libgio-2.0.so: undefined reference to
>> `g_source_get_time'
>>

>> I'm thinking I'm probably doing something wrong when deploying GLIB
>> 2.28.1 to my build environment, but I don't know what... Any help would
>> be much appreciated!
> build again with
>
>     make V=1
>
> and look at the paths and files given to the linker, you will probably
> find that /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so comes before
> /mnt/lincoln/d3/gimp/deploy/lib/libglib-2.0.so
>
> Look in the generated Makefile and look for what LDFLAGS that uses the
> old version, and try to fix the problem, for example by rebuilding that
> dependency against your own glib, or by setting LDFLAGS manually, or by
> manually changing the order of things in the Makefile
>
>    / Martin

Thanks, Martin, for the suggestions. I did all the above but it didn't
help. There were no references to /usr/lib/libglib-2.0* anywhere that I
could find.

In the end, I renamed the /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.* files and got an error
with an can't open for /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.la. But there is no
reference to that file anywhere. I went back and re-compiled
glib-2.28.1, babl and gegl from scratch, same error. Grep on source and
deploy tree did not find it.

I'm now thinking that many of the libraries in my Linux distribution
will have dependencies on glib, and that their *.la files have
hard-coded paths to /usr/lib for those dependencies. Somewhere they
cause the old glib libraries to be loaded...

With that, I bit the bullet and updated the glib version in /usr/lib,
hoping that glib-2.28 is enough backward compatible with glib-2.26 so
that this doesn't cause any problems. At least, I can compile GEGL and
GIMP again.

Is there a better way in which I can keep the development environment
separate from my distribution without having to get copies of ALL the
components that it uses?

Eric