internal structure of GEGL

Hi,
it's me again. This time I would like to ask you about the internal
structure of GEGL.

You may wonder, that I am asking for so trivial a question that is answered in
the documentation. But the documentation says to me "What a part of Library does
and how can I call it", but not "Where can I define new types of atributes,
which are used to call an operation?"
GEGL is a quite robust library, so it isn't easy to understand its structure,
its own data types, etc.. So it would really help, if there is some more
detailed documentation, is there any? Or if you know about some book which
describes sheme, on which is GEGL based.

For example my problem: I would like to extend color operations. I would like to
rewrite every operation which depends on color model of input (invert,
brightness-contrast, etc.) to have in arguments an "color model format", and
according to this variable would be perform the appropriate version of the
operation. Example: I have sRGB 8bit integer data and I would like to call
invert, so ...(gegl, "operation", "gegl:invert", "c_m_format", "sRGB 8bit",
NULL) would call invert for 8bit and three channels...
- problem is how and where should I define this "c_m_format"?
- Second question about this is: can be "get_gegl_buffer_format" usefull for
this? can I call it in operation invert on its input? if yes, what points the
pointer Babl*, which is returned? an array of chars?

Thanks a lot for any advice, information, source of informations, book, etc.

Jan