GEGL run -- heavy resources consumption

Hi,
My name is Jan and I have recently discovered this mailing list. I am from the
Czech Republic, so please forgive me my not so great English. I am a student
working on my bachelor's work -- a program for advanced color corrections. Two
testing versions have been already created in the past two years and my
objective is to use best techniques and algorithms from those version, add many
new features and create new (possibly better) version.

I had to decide between speed and programmer's comfort. I chose C++ as main
programming language.

At first, I wanted to create everything from a scratch. My theoretical part
includes a tile catching system, a loadable plugins, a color management system
and another things. Fortunately I stumbled across GEGL (+ BABL) and found it
very useful for my needs. Many of functions I would have created from scratch
are already implemented. Now I am trying to bend and stretch GEGL to find out if
I will be able to achieve desired functions.

I would like to ask about strange behaviour of GEGL. I am testing a memory usage
with those parameters. My computer: 1.5 GB free RAM, 1.4 GB free disk space. A
testing program:

          GEGL initialization
          instantiate a graph
          creating operations gegl:load, gegl:buffer-sink
          linking nodes
          process(buffer-sink)
          [sleep() -- for testing purpose]
          unref all and exit

A testing picture is 8.5 MB RGB jpeg image 6000px x 6000px.

After the program starts GEGL constantly consumes memory. Somewhere around 1 GB
free RAM left it additionally creates two large swap files named xxxx(x)-1 (340
MB) and xxxx(x)-2 (104 MB) in the swap folder. The memory consumption ends at
730 MB free RAM, the swap files are deleted and the program ends. Total
(maximal) consumption is 1500MB - 730MB + 340MB + 104MB = 1214MB.

Why GEGL needs so much resources for such simple program?
I am not so familiar with inner workings of buffers and caching, but I would
expect smaller use of the resources.

Why those swap files are created?
In the program I didn't set any properties for swapping to disk.

Why GEGL created the swap files on the disk, even when there was enough free RAM?
I would understand the need for swap if there is not enough free RAM.

Thank you in advance for any shed light upon this matter.

Regards,
Jan.