Use of Static Arrays in Nohalo Level 2

I will be implementing Nohalo Level 2 for GEGL. This basically
involves computing double-density pixel data (with a specialized
version of Nohalo Level 1 minus the finishing bilinear) and then
running a slightly modified version of Nohalo Level 1. The simplest
way of implementing this is by having a small "persistent" array or
buffer storing double-density pixel data locally so that the required
values from Level 1 are not recomputed over and over.

I originally thought that I could simply use GeglBuffers for this
purpose, but the GeglBuffer code seems fairly complicated. Instead, I
believe that small static arrays could be a better choice. For
example, a 64x64 double-density data array can be computed with the
buffer data corresponding to a context_rect/fetch_rectangle of size
35x35. When the currently stored static array does not contain the
Level 1 data needed to compute the Level 2 value at the current
location, it would simply be recomputed, much like they are in
gegl_sampler_get_ptr (in gegl-sampler.c).

Does anyone have a more elegant solution? Any objection to the use of
static arrays for this purpose?

Adam Turcotte