Re: GPU support

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM, utkarsh shukla <utk.shukla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not at all sure that CUDA is an option at all or even OpenCL can be
> used. They are a more higher level api based implementations tweeked for
> computing. The thing for GEGL is quite a low level. You have to start from
> the extreme basic and the best way to start is using GLSL (makes more sence
> than HLSL or Cg). CUDA or OpenCL are all together different concepts and
> they dont let the user see any shaders or other implementations. It can
> easily be done using GLSL.

In OpenCL, we can still use image primitives and kernels (shaders).
So I'm not quite sure that OpenCL isn't suitable for our problem.  I
haven't really looked into CUDA, so I have no opinion regarding its
suitability.

> I applied for GSOC but had not got it but still I am very very interested it
> this project particular. I just wish to take part in it and just wish if you
> keep on posting on the mailing list.

I agree that this topic is really interesting.  I'd really appreciate
help code-wise and architecture-wise.  I still have one architecture
article to post, please look forward to it!  Also, if you're positive
that you want to help, you can start by hanging around #gegl in IRC.
I'll be there later (not now, 'coz I don't have net connectivity at
home).

Later!  :)