Re: babl portability patches, and a test failure

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 12:45 +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> > I have committed that part to trunk now. Actually, I changed it to
> > include "config.h" as that's more correct than <config.h>. After all we
> > are not including a system header here but a local one.
>
> In this case, that's not the best thing to do (witness the contents of
> gnulib as an example).  Here's the relevant reasoning from the autoconf
> info manual:
>
>    To provide for VPATH builds, remember to pass the C compiler a `-I.'
> option (or `-I..'; whichever directory contains `config.h').  Even if
> you use `#include "config.h"', the preprocessor searches only the
> directory of the currently read file, i.e., the source directory, not
> the build directory.
>
>    With the appropriate `-I' option, you can use `#include <config.h>'.
> Actually, it's a good habit to use it, because in the rare case when
> the source directory contains another `config.h', the build directory
> should be searched first.
>
> I actually tripped over that very error while testing srcdir!=builddir
> (aka VPATH) builds with my patches.

Sorry, but that's how GIMP and other projects have been doing it for
more than a decade and there have never been any problems with that
approach. If there is -I$(top_srcdir) missing in the INCLUDES in some
babl Makefile, please let us know and we will add it.

If the source directory actually contains another 'config.h' then you
should hunt down the programmer who added it there and shoot him.

Sven