Re: GEGL XML library

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Ferran Basora <fcsonline@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been watching the code about reading and generation of XML in GEGL. I
> think it is obsolete and pour extensible.

This code should not be extended much, if at all, it should perhaps be
cleaned up, but that also pends on reaching agreement/consensus on the
OpenRaster specification at freedesktop. Right now the current code
serves the purpose and it is not meant to be extended much even when
reshaped to be more inline with the OpenRaster plans.

One of the things that is pending with regard to the XML format is
finding a way to make the meta operations be described as XML instead
of C, this should also be easily doable continuing to use gmarkup
(this might be unrelated to OpenRaster, or might be something that
could be folded into the set of things specified there.)

I would like to see a significant advantage over the current parsing
approach for dragging in an external library. For the serialization
(generation of XML) I doubt that other approaches would yield any
siginificantly saner code. It might even be better to completely
remove all XML based functionality than to add a new dependency on an
external library.

/Øyvind K.
 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ http://ffii.org/