Re: speeding up GEGL operations in GIMP

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:36 +0200, Jan Heller wrote:

> The gegl-fixups.c code deals with gamma corrected RGB u8
> conversions, so the inlining would affect RGBA float -> R'G'B' u8 conversion.
> However, after loading a jpeg file into gimp-2.5 and
> the using a color tool, conversions from RGB u8->RGBA float
> and RGBA float -> RGB u8 are requested, that is non-gamma
> corrected RGB u8. Is there a simple way how to make gimp
> request conversions from/to R'G'B'u8 space?

Changing this in GIMP is not feasible. What needs to be done is to
implement shortcuts for the conversions that GIMP actually uses.
Eventually he gimp-8bit extension should provide shortcuts for both
gamma-corrected and linear 8bit <-> double conversions.

The lookup tables in gegl-fixups are rather large, btw. As pointed out
in the paper, a much smaller lookup table would be sufficient to cover
the range from 0.0 to 1.0. I guess that adding a clever range check and
reducing the size of the lookup tables would yield a performance
improvement due to better cache coherency.

Sven