Re: BABL path vs. reference fish

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Jan Heller <jan.heller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 00:51, Mon 14 Apr 08, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
>  > One issue in babl's current design is that other activity on the
>  > system at the same time as measuring is performed can skew results
>  > quite a lot for a given conversion

>   So these are the alternatives I came up with. If you
>   prefer one of these or have a better idea, I can
>   investigate it further.

When the idea of babl originally emerged some of these questions were
discussed but it none of it has been implemented yet. Giving it some
thought again the direction I think would work best is most similar to
your third idea.

>   The third possibility is again to profile longer using
>   getrusage or similar function, this time once per user.
>   The profiling results would be output e.g. to
>   ~/.babl/prof.data and would be reloaded next time. Once
>   new .so with conversion would be found or new babl version
>   installed, the profiling would be done again.

Babl would be capable of running as it runs now without having the
database but it would benefit a lot from having it. For the creation
of the database I think it could be continuously updated with random
samples, both from actual babl use as well as some random tests that
are inserted together with some larger requested buffer conversions.
What should be stored for the conversions would be the running average
of all stochastic sampling and actual use.

/Øyvind K.
 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ http://ffii.org/