Re: GEGL doubts

That's not true, Hub: if you write a program based on OpenGL, you are not in any way forcing people to use non-free software.

If you have a graphics card that does not support hardware-accelerated 3D operations, then the operations will be done in software. As far as I know, in Linux, the Mesa library is used for this: http://www.mesa3d.org/

Note that there are lots of free 3D graphics applications, for example Blender http://www.blender.org/ and a number of games, that do use OpenGL.

Jesper

--
Jesper de Jong