Re: Tiles Buffer and Pyramids question

On 3/5/07, geert.jordaens@xxxxxxxxxx <geert.jordaens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello,
>
> when brouwsing trough the bug reports Bug 378115 got my attention.
> I'm trying to figure out hou the buffer and tile's interact with each other.
> It seems to me that depending the call of gegl_buffer_get_scaled one pyramid level is calculated.
> Is there realy a image pyramid? Should the image pyramid not be included in the tiles?
> (As a consequence this would increase the tile size to 1 + 1/3.)

When gegl_buffer_get_scaled is called the tiles needed at the level to
satisfy the request is computed (and cached). Thus the tiles are
generated on demand (and cached for later use).

Level 0: is the base level, this level always exist (as things are
currently implemented).
Level 1: the tile size here is the same as tiles of the ones on level
0, but contains data from 4 tiles on level 0.
Level 2: one tile consists of data from 4 tiles on level 1.

This tile generation happens automatically within the tile
architecture, gegl_buffer_get_scaled just requests tiles at the
appropriate level, and retrieves either cached tiles or makes the tiles
needed be generated. When tiles for level 2 is requested, tiles on
level 1 are created and cached as well if needed.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/