how far along

Hi
What needs to be done before Gegl has a chance of being incorporated
into Gimp? I'm seriously considering replicating cinepaints (Film Gimp)
efforts. While Cinepaint is based on Gimp1.2, I would base mine on the
latest Gimp.

Yes, I realize that would be insane but if Gegl is never going to make
it in, my only other option is CinePaint or Glagow (ugh .. based on
FLTK? Huh?)

Mathew