Re: DAGs make users' eyes cross

I certainly agree with your reservations on using the DAG as *the* user-manipulated UI, but I don't think it's entirely black and white.  There are often two types of artists, those who love DAGs, and those who hate DAGs -- and even the ones who love DAGs can sometimes hate them :-)

From a high-level point of view, I'm personally not happy with hiding the flexibility a DAG-based UI provides in favor of a mostly linear interface.  I think it would be very helpful to figure out the most important reasons artists have for disliking DAGs, and pointing out the reasons DAG-based UIs can be unwieldy (even if completely obvious).  Maybe we can come up with a "middle" ground (though I hate to use the word middle) which really improves on both approaches :-)

I like your spreadsheet idea a lot -- but I have concerns that it would be trading one form of visual complexity for another.  It's really hard to say without some prototyping, of course.

It's something to consider!

-shea