Re: Why C and why CVS?

* Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxxxx> [060310 13:53]:
> Oh, 6 years old. Got it.
>
> 6 years... I wonder if changing to a higher level language like C++ or
> better yet C# (mono has good enough support now) would speed up the
> development. I think it would.
>
> What do you guys think?

The reason for using C is that it is much easier (possible) to make
bindings for other languages, C, C#, C++, Python, Ruby etc.

The biggest obstacle to GEGL development as I see it, is that in its
current state it doesn't do any actual image processing. Personally I
find it difficult to improve on a non-working system.

I am aiming to improve on this by next weekend when I am going to do a
presentation about GEGL at LGM [1] in a bout a week. My current efforts
of replacing all the image processing of horizon [2] gives reason for
optimism [3], the code that is in CVS is doing what it is intended to
do and my overview of what needs to be done is improving.

/Øyvind K.

[1] http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/
[2] http://pippin.gimp.org/horizon/
[3] http://pippin.gimp.org/tmp/gegl/