Re: [Gegl-developer] terminology / naming conventions

On 09/21/04 23:17:28, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
The act I call processing is called evaluating in GEGL, I feel this is an issue where I probably have a stronger bias towards the terminology
I have been using, both terms probably have merit, and I'll leave the
term process in gggl for the time being.

I after spending some time today looking closer at the GEGL api, I have rediscovered more of the reasoning that it is called evaluate in GEGL, in GEGL you are only able to evaluate a ROI (region of interest) on a particular root node in the graph. The region of interest, and minimal recomputation which this approach advocates is interesting, but it has
a shortcoming.

The approach doesn't easily facilitate multiplie active sinks at the same time, something that might be beneficial for rendering thumbnails in the composition treeview in GIMP. The approach needed with the current evaluation manager is to issue a seperate processing step for each thumbnail that one wants to generate. In bauxite I have been doing color correction of video where I render both color corrected video,histogram and chromatic diagram, to facilitate this with the GEGL
approach you would have to composite theese images into a final larger
image to be able to get away with a single invokation of the evaluation
manager.

gggl has the facility of setting the "active nodes", this is actually just defining which sinks, and all their dependencies should be rendered. Perhaps the GEGL api could somehow be extended to allow multiple roots, and regions of interest? I fear the consequence would be a more complicated API.

/pippin