Image Combination Engine - was Re: [Gegl-developer] test

Good,

because over the weekend I felt like posting right here.  :-)

Actually, I have not dig too deep in GEGL, but for the Graphs idea.

But what I want to start a thread here about is the following:
some of you might remember that I've talked on the Gimp lists a
 couple of times of what I've called a "Custom Layer Combination
 Mode".

The idea is that one could be able to represent the way pixels in two
(or just one) layers are combined together to be shown on screen, by
a set of simple mathematical expressions.

WIth the simpler of them all, one could just as easily re-create
GIMP's existing modes: normal, addition, darken only (with an "if"
operator like C's "?  :"  ), grain merge. etc...
More elaborate expressions could come up with real itneresting
results, not to talk about starightforward results, like fine-tunning
grain merge.

But, why did I brought this subject here?
Because I actually wrote some code to do the above. While I did not
 do a compiler to go from human readable C like expressions to one
 think fast to compute, I wrote a combination Engine that would
 interpret a Stack with the operators, and thus be able to perform
 any number of __generic__ computations upon combining 2 bitmaps.

In my code, I used a 16 bit fixed point computing scheme to do the
calculations. GEGL will need other models for operating with other
types of image than 8bpp.

My proposition is that an engine similar to mine be available in
 GEGL, so that a node could pick such generic custom expressions - in
 fact, a mini programming language - and use it to combine two or
 more images into a third.

So what?
Anyone want to take a look in my code? (last I fiddled with it, we
were on GIMP 1.3.14 yet).
If there is anyone interested, I could mail the text,m or maybe, we
could open a GEGL bug report and follow this thread there.

Regards,
	JS
	-><-