Re: [Gegl-developer] status of gegl/image

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:23:51PM -0800, Daniel Rogers wrote:

> Manish Singh wrote:
> | Actually, the common idiom is to define:
> |
> |   parent_class = g_type_class_peek_parent (class);
> |
> | in class_init, with parent_class being a static at file scope. Then
> you just
> | use it as Calvin did whenever you need to chain up. Less code clutter that
> | way.
>
> so this:
> "The problem here is how we can find the parent constructor. An approach
> (used in GTK+ source code) would be to save the original constructor in
> a static variable from maman_bar_class_init  and then to re-use it from
> maman_bar_constructor. This is clearly possible and very simple but I
> was told it was not nice and the prefered way is to use the
> g_type_class_peek and g_type_class_peek_parent functions."
>
> from this:
> http://www.le-hacker.org/papers/gobject/ch04.html#gobject-instanciation
>
> is wrong?

Well, all the real world GObject code I've seen uses the idiom I detailed
above. And it's much less clutter to my eyes. I wonder what reasoning whoever
told Mathieu that it was "not nice" used.. apart from needing a global
variable (only rigid style freaks would care) I can't think of any reason
why.

-Manish