Re: [Gegl-developer] broken makefiles

On 19/08/03, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 04:47, Daniel Rogers wrote:
> > the makefiles in gegl/gegl in cvs seem to be broken.  Here is the error
> > on a "make clean"
> >
> > Makefile:502: *** missing separator.  Stop.
> >
> > 502 of makefile.am looks like :
> > 501: =======
> > 502: >>>>>>> 1.61
> >
> > This is not a makefile syntax I am familar with, but it seems to
> > correspond with:
> >
> > 127: <<<<<<< Makefile.am
> >
> > and there is a similar syntax in Makefile.am
> >
> > What is going on here?
>
> This a merge conflict. CVS had problems to merge your changes with the
> changes in the repository. cvs update should have told you about this.
> Sometimes people check in this stuff but this time it looks like the
> problem is in your tree only. You'll have to merge the changes manually
> and remove the conflict markers.
>

> Sven

What happened probably was this:
You said

dan>cvs update

and the output went something like this:

cvs update: conflicts found in Makefile.am
C Makefile.am

When you get conflicts (marked by C), you typically have to open
the file  and look for the `<<<<<<<', `=======' and `>>>>>>>'
It is usually obvious which code you want to keep, and
which is the bad code. You remove the bad code, and the
three markers and leave the good code.

If you forgot what code you just had in the file before
you updated, you can look for a file called
`.#filename.revision' in the directory. This contains
the file as it was before you updated.

If you want to just throw away your changes in the
file with the conflicts you just remove the file, and get
a fresh copy from the repository.

Calvin