Re: [Gegl-developer] data_inputs/outputs in GeglOp instead of GeglNode

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 02:53:44PM -0800, Daniel Rogers wrote:
> What is the difference between GeglOp's GList's of inputs and outputs
> and GeglNode's Glist of inputs and outputs?

GeglOp's list is a list of GeglData objects, which are the data being
passed along the graph. GeglNode's input and output's lists are the lists of
GeglNodes which are the sources and sinks for a particular node.

Like in a compiler you might have different attributes passed along the
graph (types, values, etc). The GeglOp's data lists are one example
of attributes that are passed along the graph.

> I would think that Node's would handle all the connectivness issues, not
> Op's so should GeglOp get it's inputs and outputs from  GeglNode?

It does in a way. The nth input GeglData for an Op will come from an
output GeglData of the nth input Node (for the Op).

Also you need a list of data inputs (in GeglOp) since there may be a
conversion of the data needed before it can be used as input to the op.
So you have a conversion that happens like this:

Suppose A is an input of B.

Then during validate_inputs, the following happens:
Op A output(a GeglData from A's list of data_outputs in GeglOp)
----->Op B input (a GeglData from B's list of data_inputs in GeglOp)

Here the output GeglData of OpA is either copied or
converted (the arrow above) to the input GeglData of Op B (image
conversion, scalar conversion, string to scalar, etc).

I think the various passed data lists in GeglOp shouldnt be
in GeglNode though, cause GeglNode just knows how to build a
graph, not how data is passed along the graph.

Calvin